If you asked me a month back that would I ever write a book?, I would have answered with a resounding NO. As I thought writing and publishing a book would be so much work and you’d need editors/reviewers and publishing houses to back it!
I initially planned on writing a blog on how to create Promises from scratch and what’s A+ spec about. I had a fair bit of understanding; how they work internally but when I actually started implementing it, it was truly a humbling process :)
I was unaware of so many edge-cases and then I started documenting the entire journey of fixing and building and repeat.
I also did a tiny bit of market research where I wanted to see if building these Promises from scratch was covered but I only found books talking about the usage/patterns and a handful of blogs which taught to create Promises but not from the point of view of A+ spec. I wanted to write an in-depth guide on how they are done with a clean and simplistic implementation that’ll stick in the reader’s mind for days to come.
This is how the book came to be!
How did I write?
I wrote the book using plain markdown in a single file. I used top-level headings to demarcate chapters as it made sense to me at the time.
It was super easy to use mark-down as I was used to writing a lot of it and there’s very less syntax to know. Backticks for code snippets,
# for headings and
- for lists. That's all there's to it.
How did I get the book ready for publishing?
I initially concentrated on finishing the manuscript and proof-reading it for flows and making sure I was covering all concepts in a clear and chronological way.
Once I was satisfied with the content I turned to my
google-fu skills to see what all formats do I need to support. So there're three primary formats that you should take care of:
- mobi (for Kindles)
pandoc to create the books from markdown with a little bit of customization.
pandoc wasn't giving me what I wanted. So I used the amazing Eisvogel template to get a nice looking pdf book.
Please read the setup instructions which are written in detail in the above Github link.
To make it work, I needed to add a bit of metadata at the top of my source manuscript markdown file. Note the triple dots at the end, they are intended.
table-of-contents into a separate page and added a cover pic which I self-designed on Canva
There was one more issue; since my entire manuscript was just in one big markdown file and the individual chapters were demarcated by a top-level heading. Pandoc was generating the
To fix this I had to add this line before each top level heading
Top-level heading means the following
The command to generate the final
This is needed for ebook readers, I used my Mac’s
Books.app to test.
The procedure is almost same but a different way of configuration. The
metadata is removed from the top of the file and added separately in a
yaml file. I also removed the
\newpage tags as it was only for the pdf template.
The command to build epub file that I used
You can pass a stylesheet to this to style some components. I used the following css file
I only wanted to add a slight highlight to the code snippets which the plain
pandoc was not adding.
metadata.txt looked like this
This was the easiest to do. I logged into Amazon’s Kindle Self Publishing portal. I uploaded the above generated
epub and it converted it to a compatible
That’s all for this one, if you’ve read my book reviews would be amazing :)
Please post it on Amazon listing or send me direct feedback and I’ll be happy to hear.
Originally published at https://ankeetmaini.dev/how-I-wrote-and-published-my-ebook